Started Dec 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
joger
Senior MemberPosts: 2,690Gear list
Like?
50 f/1.4 USM vs 40 STM vs Zeiss 55 f/1.8
Dec 18, 2013

not bad for a "budget lens" - really not bad - especially compare to the Canon offerings

wide open

f/2.8

f/4.0

f/5.6

(data taken from SLRgear)

As expected - at f/5.6 all lenses perform more or less equally - but the wide open performance of the new Zeiss 55 f/1.8 is phenomenal compare to the Canon offerings - if the rest of the product line from Sony is on a similar level I am even more tempted by the A7R offering!

Most impressive is the comparison to the STM 40 - which is truly a unique offering in size and weight but the total weight (even with a 6D) is roughly double the weight of the A7R plus the 55 f/1.8

All results to be take with a huge grain of salt of course!!

BUT looking at the f/1.8 performance I am really looking forward to the next lenses from Sony and from Canon - the bar is set a bit higher now - good for us customers

-- hide signature --

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein
don't feed trolls - ignore them

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +10 more
Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 6D Sony Alpha 7R Sony FE 55mm F1.8
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow