ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
WD
WD
Contributing MemberPosts: 519
Like?
A V3 like this?
9 months ago

What will Nikon do for the 1 system this coming year?

Many of us in the forum have come here after being lured to the V1 by the very affordable pricing last December and have found the camera to be so much more than they imagined it could/would be. Now, wanting to expand the system and its capabilities to be more than a "better" P/S, we're awaiting what Nikon will hopefully announce soon as a V3.

I currently own two V1's, four '1' lenses, the FT-1, numerous DX and FX lenses, and the N5 flash. I've ceased adding more lenses or the V2. Although I like the ergonomics and small improvements, they're minimal for the asking price and, frankly IMHO, don't justify as an upgrade for the V1. Rather, I'm waiting to see if there's a future with this system that I very much like. Not much has been happening and there's little in the way of news.

Frustrated, I succumbed to an ad from B&H for the Panny G6 with two kit lenses, similar to the 10-30 and 30-110, for $619 over the Thanksgiving holiday (after reading Kirk Tuck's personal opinion of the camera). For me, mirrorless is where I'm going....one way or another....so I decided to explore the lower level of m4/3 out of curiosity to see what that system offered.

Here's my personal take:

The camera is slightly bigger, though lighter, than the V1. With the built in grip, it feels similar, though slightly larger to the V2 in hand. The EVF is comparable. However, instant review can be turned off! The rear LCD is articulated and touch sensitive. A button push pulls up review with histograms for red, blue, green and yellow. A toggle just behind the shutter allows fast, convenient exposure compensation.  Focus peaking for MF. There are seven function buttons and each can be set for approximately 40 different functions....and THEN, 4 custom modes on the top dial can each be set for specific circumstances: action, portraits, landscapes, video ...whatever.... and allow instant recall of the settings you want for those unique circumstances. If you can't find a way to make it work for you, you ain't tryin' or you're not up to it. There's a silent electric shutter, not as versatile as the V1 (can't be used with flash); lower 1/4000 max shutter speed; a larger sensor with 16mp resolution, very slightly more dynamic range, pleasing color and full HD 60fps video (VERY good video), a REAL hot shoe, external mic input and WIRELESS capability!

I could go on because there's a lot more. It will AF in lower light than the V1 (slowly) as an example, and seemingly nearly as quick in bright light. Certainly, quick enough for most uses. I can't say about focus tracking, though the V1 probably has an edge. But all mirrorless cameras lag in that area. Everything is viewable in the EVF and LCD. Switching is fast, automatic, or manual if you prefer. And there is an auto mode which does everything if you want to hand the camera to someone and say, "Here, take a few photos of us, would you?"

I don't mean to sound like a Panny troll. Again, I'm invested in Nikon gear and love the 1 system. It's my fervent hope that Nikon produces a V3 with features like this G6. If Panny can do it at this price level, Nikon should be able to do it for a price closer to the EM-1 and give us Nikon build. After all, it's been 2 years since the V1....the competition isn't sitting on their hands.

If Nikon doesn't respond with something closer to what m4/3 is offering, I'm afraid there won't be a future other than the P&S group.  What a shame that would be!

-- hide signature --

Warren

Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow