ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
klh
klh
Contributing MemberPosts: 791Gear list
Like?
d90 to d7100 upgrade - interpreting DXO charts
9 months ago

Hi, I'm considering upgrading from a five-year-old D90 to a d5300 or d7100.  I know what I get in terms of features, capabilities, more pixels, etc.  But what I'm confused about is sensor performance.  I would have expected a big gain.

But when I look at the DXO comparison charts on dynamic range, tonal range, signal to noise ratio, there's not much difference.  Basically a d90 at ISO 400 beats a D7100 or d5300 at ISO 800.  If you go to the d610, you get a bigger gap, as it takes two f-stops before the d90 overtakes the sensor of the d610.

I've been enjoying taking indoor non-flash photos with nikon primes.  I've been using my D primes at 20 (2.8), 50 (1.8) and 85 (1.8) - using them one stop from wide open.  I like the results, but sometimes my shutter speed gets below 100, and I'm vulnerable to camera shake.  I don't like to go above 400 iso on the d90, and 1600 in a pinch, as I want to preserve as much color, tonal and dynamic range as possible.  It seems like if I move to the d7100, I get one more doubling of ISO.  I kind of would have expected more with five years of sensor development.

Am I interpreting this right, or is the sensor improvement more than I can see in the charts.

klh's gear list:klh's gear list
Nikon D5300
Nikon D5300 Nikon D610 Nikon D7100 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow