Replacing Nikon 35/1.8 with a Sigma 18-35/1.8?

Started 8 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
blurredvision
Regular MemberPosts: 392Gear list
Like?
Replacing Nikon 35/1.8 with a Sigma 18-35/1.8?
8 months ago

Wanted to get some thoughts on this.  I currently use the Nikon 35/1.8 on my D7100, it hardly ever comes off.  For now, my camera is exclusively used for photos of my now 8 month old daughter.  The quality of the 35/1.8 is fantastic, I honestly have no complaints with it.

However, I've been looking at the great reviews of the Sigma and wonder if I could use it better than just the 35 prime.  Given that a lot of my shots are indoors, the wider option would come in handy I believe, although I honestly haven't ran into many situations where the 35 wasn't wide enough.

I'm also going on a trip to Aruba in February and I'm thinking the wider option would come in handy for the scenery, although I'm not sure how well the Sigma is as landscapes and such.

Just wanted to get some thoughts, I haven't decided what to do yet.  If I were to get the Sigma, the Nikon would be a waste of space.  Cons to getting the Sigma are the hefty price (for me) and increased heft/size for travel, but the pro would be having a wider angle to work with with just-as-good-or-better optics than the Nikon 35 prime.

Thoughts?  Thanks for any discussion on this.

blurredvision's gear list:blurredvision's gear list
Nikon D50 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +8 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow