Sony A99, the new Sigma 24-105 or the Sony 28-75?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
havoc315
Senior MemberPosts: 1,330Gear list
Like?
Sony A99, the new Sigma 24-105 or the Sony 28-75?
7 months ago

I'm not interested in the Zeiss 24-70.  Not only too expensive, also just too heavy.  Reviews from Kurt Munger and others suggest that in terms of pure IQ, the cheaper 28-75 holds up pretty well against the Zeiss.

The new Sigma 24-105 tested amazingly well at dxoMark.  The IQ may be as good as any lens out there.  With a wider range than the Zeiss.  And with the ultra silent focus motor.  And it is similarly priced to the Sony 28-75.

They look like the 2 best lens options for the A99, under $1,000.

So the advantages of the Sigma -- Wider at 24mm, and more total range all the way to 105.  Silent focus.  Stellar IQ.

Advantages of the Sony 28-75 -- Constant f 2.8 (Not a huge selling point for me, I'm ok with 4 on a full frame).  And compatibility with lens corrections and AF-D.  
I'm liking AF-D on the A99, with the compatible lenses I have.

Of course, Sony is rumored to be releasing their own 24-105/4 next year -- and if reasonably priced, this may be the best of all worlds.

But interested in opinions.. is the AF-D mode on the A99 enough of a reason to stick to Sony-branded lenses?  Or better off getting better range/IQ/features from a 3rd party?

havoc315's gear list:havoc315's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A99 Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +6 more
Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow