Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Matt Shelton
Regular MemberPosts: 361Gear list
Like?
My year with zooms
9 months ago

I switched from Nikon to Canon when I first went digital in 2005, and my first lens purchases that year and the next year were the f4 zooms - the 17-40L, the 24-105L IS and the 70-200L IS.  But I have always loved primes, and pretty soon, I found myself with the 24 1.4L II, the 50 1.4, the 85 1.8, the 100 2.8L IS macro, the 135 2.0L and the 200 2.8L II.   From 2006 to the end of last year, I probably used a prime for 75% of my shots, only going to the f4 zooms when traveling light was at a premium.  I was simply loving my photography - my favorite shots just had a certain something to them..be it fantastic colors, wonderful framing, perfect bokeh, etc.  But last year, I started to think that my bag was just too heavy.   So, I sold everything except for the 100 2.8 macro, and I bought the 16-35 2.8II, the 24-70 2.8II and the 70-200 2.8II.   Yes, I have a lighter bag now (but not by much), but I'm finding that my photography from 2013 has not been as inspiring to me as it was in prior years.  The composition hans't always been there; perhaps the ease of using a zoom has been causing me to neglect proper and creative framing.  And my images just don't seem to pop like they did in prior years.  I think I'm just going to have to call a spade a spade: I'm a primes guy.  It's going to take me awhile to reacquire them, though!

Matt Shelton's gear list:Matt Shelton's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III +3 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow