Thom on the Df

Started Dec 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
DimLS
Forum MemberPosts: 86
Like?
Re: Thom on the Df. The core proposal of Df vs other FF dslrs
In reply to Kent J, Dec 17, 2013

Thom was a bit of biased on the DF review. Actually his review is biased emotionally.

For me, he should appreciate more the fact that Df is an entirely new dslr concept, both in form and function, and that's why its its almost inevitable for nikon to form it just perfect. There is no other dslr with small grip and with manual controls in any size.

Df has smaller size and considerable smaller weight than d700 and d800. Its big plus for a big mass of people.

Df has the best sensor for me and for lots of people. I dont appreciate high MP sensors that create heavy files and call for bigger and heavier lenses.

Df is perfect for the amateur. (double slots, fast FPS, superfast AF are not priorities for lots amateurs) "Pure" photography concept is closer to the amateur photographer than the professional one. Of course a pro photographer can make "pure" photography.

Df's "pure" photography is not nostalgia, there is a reason behind it. Working with dials, seeing the values of the exposure on the dials, taking your time etc forces you to think. Df "needs" manual focus lenses with aperture rings. Physical controls make you more able to learn to read the exposure of a scene with your eyes. Its easier to remember the 1/500 speed when you set it and see it in the classic dial than setting and seeing it in the lcd. The same for the aperture. Memory remembers (and retrieves) the view of the dial in a setting easier that the view of a setting in an lcd.

Mechanical dials can be faster and easier for setting. E.g. F8 and 1/500 setted before reading any exposure view on the cam, is a very common workflow for the "pure photographer": the photographer who reads exposure, focal length, focus point and DOF, by looking at the scene and not by looking through the viewfinder or the lcd. Then before the shot you only may need to fine tune: half or full stop up or down etc.

When you know the settings you will use, its far more easier and practical to use mechanical dials for every image parameter than electronic dials.

This is a big difference Df is proposing with this concept, and this difference may not be understood by many photographers, because they are used to operate the cam in an other manner.

That's the main reason why leica exists: manual control for a reason (partly explained above) and not for the retro feeling.

For me the big plus of the Df is:

• Manual control
  • Smaller size than d700/d800 and even d600
  • Smaller weight

The cons:

• With light lenses, when hanged through your neck, the camera tends to look upwards, i really dont like it, and Df is meant to use with light primes. With Voightlander primes e.g. 40mm and even with the kit 50mm f1.8 it feels so bad that the cam never stays vertical.
  • Shutter dial has no half stop increments, as leica does, so you have to use the iso or the aperture ring for fine tuning if you want to use mechanical dials. Still you can use the classic dslr real dial for this but then you lose some the initial manual only exposure principle.
  • The grip is useless when holding the cam with one hand, even for some secs: your fingers pain. But its ok, with 2 hands its just perfect. I guess its the price to pay for the size reduction. May be different grip design would put less pain on your fingers.
  • The strap intervenes with your palm grip, and you have to pass it between your 2 fingers. It cannot be placed in front of or behind your palm. Maybe the body strap hanger could have been placed elsewhere.

Thanks

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
D300New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow