Can I take picture of Moon with Sony alpha Nex-F3?

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
EinsteinsGhost
Senior MemberPosts: 8,904Gear list
Like?
Re: Can I take picture of Moon with Sony alpha Nex-F3?
In reply to uhligfd, 4 months ago

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

uhligfd wrote:

How did you manage to break the f/11 or f/16 rule three fold:

You mentioned ISO 200, f/7.1 and 1/80 sec exposure:

Iso f/11rule requires at ISO 200: speed = 1/200 sec, aperture around f/11. Your speed (1/80) was around 1 1/2 stops longer, your( f/7.1) aperture 1 1/3 stop wider … yet your pic looks ok. But we do not see its exif data, do we?

Something is dreadfully wrong with your advice: a picture taken as you said would be overexposed by around 3 stops.

Can you explain, please.

The exif is correct (image is hosted on flickr, and exif taken from there). For this particular image, I wasn't thinking any rule, but getting the reddish color of the moon.

The rule might apply once the moon is high and bright.

Yes I can see it now: the f/7.1 was off camera and the machine did not know that there was a 1.7 x TC attached, so the modified exposure was actually at around f/11 (1.5 stops due to TC). Now the moon was filtered by the dingy atmosphere as well, accounting for the remaining 1 - 2 stops of being outside the f/11 rule. Ok then.

I did not realize that the f value was probably miscomputed in the exif data automatically. So: beware of exif data! My bad.

Teleconversion lens does not change the aperture or light transmission the way teleconverter does. With the TC lens, you will get same exposure.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Yes!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow