Christmas wishes for the Nikon 1 series (and the "new" V3) ?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Andrew Ellis
Contributing MemberPosts: 621Gear list
Like?
Christmas wishes for the Nikon 1 series (and the "new" V3) ?
4 months ago

Well, apparently as we know, according to Nikon Rumours, there's a new V3 in the offing for Jan 2014. It got me thinking that I've recently been using my Nikon 1 Series more and more lately for its portability and very good image quality. As we know, both the V1 and V2 have their quirks, and are far from perfect systems, but as the rumoured V3 is "supposed" to be designed along the lines of the Coolpix P7800, it got me thinking what features would I like to see in the new camera.

For me, the main points would be:

· Better High ISO Capability, obviously within the capabilities of the Aptina 1" sensor.

· Slightly better resolution (but not too much), say about 16mp.

· More external controls for ISO, Exposure compensation etc.

· Reinstate the intervalometer from the V1

· Add exposure Bracketing - at last

· Ditch the accessory port and add a proper hot shoe with CLS capability (like the P7800)

· Go back to the EN-EL15 battery to maintain compatibility with my D7100 and D800 cameras.

· GPS Built in (I have the GP-N100 unit, but it's a bit clunky when stuck on top of the V2 - not so bad on the V1).

· Virtual Horizon (even the P7800 has this at half the price of the V2).

· Tilt and swivel LCD monitor.

That's really about it. Come to think of it, if it is indeed possible to fit the Aptina CX sensor inside a modified P7800 chassis, then most of the above features are already there in the P7800, so shouldn't be too hard to accomplish ?

From a lens point of view, I'd also like to see a 13mm F1.8 Prime (35mm equiv), a 40mm (ish) F2.8 (100mm equiv) true 1:1 macro lens and a long telephoto VR Prime such as a 200mm F2.8 (540mm Equiv) - as this should be much smaller and easier to handle than a Nikkor prime using the FT2 adaptor.

For me, so long as the "new" sensor showed worthwhile but realistic increases in image quality from the V1/V2 sensor (i.e. no backwards steps), then I would seriously start to consider dumping a lot of my DSLR bodies and lenses, and use the 1 series as my semi permanent set up for all but paying gigs. Obviously, whilst I'm not expecting the price to be rock bottom, so long as Nikon don't price it completely stupidly (as they did with the launch of the V2), then I would buy one immediately.

As it is my V2, 6.7-13mm VR, 10-100 VR and 18.5mm F2.8, with the SB-N7 Speedlight, have pretty much replaced my DSLR's for travel as I find the image quality about comparable to my old D200, and that was good enough for me for many years, and all the above fits into a tiny bag that you hardly notice across your shoulder.

I know a lot of the above is wishful thinking, but come on, tis' the season of wishes and dreams coming true, so what would be your wish list ?

-- hide signature --

Lets make pictures, not war........

Andrew Ellis's gear list:Andrew Ellis's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon D3 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 +12 more
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D200 Nikon D7100 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2 (Lumix DMC-FT2)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow