Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ABNorman
New MemberPosts: 16
Like?
TZ40/ZS30 as a "daytime" camera
7 months ago

I got the FZ18 back in 2008, and have finally been able to upgrade this year. I'm very excited to have a Fuji X100s, and this is the camera that I'll be using for the bulk of my shooting - social scenes, environmental portraits, street, night and events.

I have enough cash to get, for example, a Canon T5i+18-135mm lens, but the more I look at it, the more I'm thinking that the X100s will get quite a bit more time, and I should maybe look for a cheaper option with the other camera that I can carry easily in case I decide to carry both.

I like the FZ18's zoom options, but not really it's bulk. The X100s deals with any low light issues I had with the FZ18. I've been looking at the TZ40 (or possibly its 2014 replacement), as it's A) wider (I've often wanted just a little bit more on the wide end), B) smaller and C) much cheaper than a DSLR.

The issues that have me on the fence are a DSLR's speed of operation (shot-to-shot, autofocus, etc) vs the TZ40, the 18-135mm's ability to isolate the subject (not looking for crazy bokeh, just good isolation), and the quality of wildlife shots (I go to a national park in Africa about once a year), which my FZ18 struggles with at full zoom (it loses contrast, gets shaky, doesn't isolate well).

So I guess, in summary, I'm asking: how much better is the TZ40 than the FZ18? Specifically as a "do everything during the day" camera - landscape, snapshots, portraits & wildlife. It's been 5 or 6 years, so I'm guessing technology has moved on enough to impress me.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 700D (EOS Rebel T5i) Fujifilm X100S Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 (Lumix DMC-TZ40)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow