Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
alextardif
Regular MemberPosts: 212Gear list
Like?
SAL85F14Z...bummer, buyer beware, and questions
9 months ago

I know this is probably a bit melodramatic, but I'm pretty bummed right now so first a quick vent:

Wife bough me SAL84F14Z as an early holiday present from B&H and paid for overnight shipping (we're heading out on a trip tomorrow). Once her order was processed, she noticed that B&H listed the lens as "Temporarily Out Of Stock"... so, unless these things are flying off the shelf, which I highly doubt, mine was the last one they had on hand. Get it this evening, immediately notice the box is in pretty rough shape, packaging has clearly been through numerous wrap/unwrap cycles, etc. Alright, the lens itself looks good so I mount it on the A99. Then I look closer and notice a hairline scratch on the DOF scale glass, strike one... and then the real bummer:

Towards bottom left corner... about 3mm in length

Appears to be stuck to the glass pretty well... check out that gorgeous shadow it's casting on the blades!

So, obviously this one has gone through it's share of other disappointed buyers who noticed the same. I wouldn't sweat it so much if this was a small dust spec, but this is the biggest internal blemish I've seen inside a fancy piece of glass, so clearly not acceptable. Needless to say, it's heading back to B&H. It's obvious they resell returned merchandize. For anyone in the market for this lens, beware - SN is 0195028. I'll give B&H another shot depending on how they handle the exchange.

Anyhow, here's my other concern/question: the darn thing is LOUD, it is my first non-SSM Sony glass, so I was expecting it, but it's making such a plethora of noises that makes me question what's normal, and what's not. Can anyone with hands-on experience confirm if the chirping you hear whenever I half-press the shutter button is normal? I'm not talking about the whirring motor during focusing when the focus is extending, but rather when I press and release the half-press? It chirps 80% of the time and none of my other CZ and Sony glass makes that noise. It's same on A99 and A77. Here's the video.

Thanks!

-- hide signature --

Alex

alextardif's gear list:alextardif's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 Sony a77 II Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +6 more
Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow