Started 8 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
phazelag
Senior MemberPosts: 2,132Gear list
Like?
Face Detection, 1 Area, or Pinpoint for portraits? Panasonic users
8 months ago

I am asking because I was expirementing tonight taking pictures of my daughter with the 45mm f1.8 at f1.8 and trying to lock in on her eyes.  I used 1 area first and the eyes were in focus but seemed soft.  Then I tried pinpoint which is basically how I did portraits with my Canon using center focus point, AEL/AFL back button recompose and I got one eye pretty sharp but the distant eye was soft even when her face was relatively flat facing me.

Then I tried Face Detection and amazingly both eyes were tack sharp.  It seemed like no matter which way she turned her head the percentage of sharp eyes went up dramatically with face detect.   I am used to the DOF being shallow and having to be extremely careful on focus at F1.8 but this made it very easy.

I am guessing for some of you this may be a "duh" situation, but I always thought of Face Detect as a tool for people who don't know how to use the other focus modes.  But now I am starting to feel like this is a serious tool for making great portraits and getting more keepers.

What do you guys think?

-- hide signature --
 phazelag's gear list:phazelag's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sigma DP3 Merrill Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 RX100 III +2 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow