Expected sharpness for legacy primes on APS-C?

Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
rbsite
Forum MemberPosts: 70
Like?
Expected sharpness for legacy primes on APS-C?
7 months ago

I'm enjoying the NEX with FD/FL and MC/MD lenses.

So far I've stuck with junk shop lenses at junk shop prices, and I know that's a factor, but the lenses while sharp and clean up close tend not to capture so much detail when focused on a faraway object.

(I'm aware these lenses focus past infinity on the adapters and I do take care, using zoom assist zoom and focus peaking and adjusting incrementally to take multiple shots of a subject.)

Common sense says it's a combination of user fault and the fact these are junk lenses, and as I type this I realise I should find a bunch of premium, mint legacy lenses somewhere and test those, which I'll do this weekend. Still, I can test lenses in shops all day long (and like to do that!) but still want to have people weigh in with thoughts and recommendations here.

Your expertise is requested. If I'm looking for sharpness on legacy prime -- say, a 24, a 35 and a 50 each -- what should I expect? For FD and MD lenses, which brand should I look for?

I'm at the office now but can provide some sample images later for critique, etc.

Thank you.

-- hide signature --
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow