Occasional focus hunting with FT lens on EM1: SWD helps?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
drj3
Senior MemberPosts: 1,123Gear list
Like?
Re: Second FT lens trial
In reply to radsaq, 8 months ago

radsaq wrote:

G1Shooter wrote:

Can't help with a reply, but am very interested as to what others say as I am considering a 50-200 SWD for my EM-1.

If the max aperture trumps reach and/or focus speed, then there's really nothing that can replace the 50-200mm in the current m4/3 lineup. If you need maximum reach (and especially if you plan on using the 1.4x TC), then I would suggest the Olympus 75-300mm or Panasonic 100-300mm lenses, since these are *much* smaller and *much* lighter than the 50-200mm + 1.4x TC combination, and the difference in light-gathering is quite small. Even with SWD, the 50-200mm feels relatively glacial in comparison to the 100-300mm. And both of the m4/3 lenses are probably underrated as far as sharpness goes, likely due to the general difficulty of getting good photos at 600mm EFL.

(Yes, I'm terrible at it, so I should know. No, I'm not insulting everyone else.)

-- hide signature --

The EC14+50+200 focuses well on the E-M1 in most situations, better than the 12-60 which is okay ( but the 12-60 does hunt in moderately low light - its okay in very low light with focus assist).  The 50-200 does sometimes have a problem with horizontals, which is mostly a problem if you are trying to photograph BIFs in normal landscape mode.  For stationary objects (sitting birds & insects for me), it is very good in good light (similar to the E5) but, a little slower than the E5 in lower light.  The small target area is a little larger than the single point on the E5 but certainly okay for most situations.  If you are not into BIFs then the 50-200 works well.  The EC14+50-200 is sharp wide open, so you can use it at f5 without any problem.  The 12-60 focus is okay, but is much better on the E5.  The only place were I have found any real problem with the 12-60 is trying to focus on my 5 month old kittens in low light when they are playing.  The E5 is much better in this situation (always focuses immediately) and I assume the 12-40 on the E-M1 would perform in a similar way.  If I did not have the 12-60, then I would probably get the 12-40, but I would seriously miss the 40-60mm range of the 12-60.

-- hide signature --

drj3

drj3's gear list:drj3's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow