Most accurate/reliable lens resolution website?

Started Dec 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ontario Gone
Senior MemberPosts: 3,889Gear list
Like?
Most accurate/reliable lens resolution website?
Dec 17, 2013

Self explanatory. I ask because i am seeing somewhat skewed results depending on the site i look at. SLRgear for example, shows very different results than PZ. Here is one example, i have a few theories but since i haven't personally used the lenses im comparing, i don't know which is which.

First up is SLRgear. When comparing the following 2 at their respectively sharpest FL, F4, they have the Panasonic sharper in the center, and even holding corners flatter. Not a huge difference, but noticeable.

Below is from PZ, who have it completely the opposite. The Panasonic barely punches past 2200 in center, where the Canon maxes out the 3700 limit. That's a big difference, although they both appear to have a similar flatness, just as SLRgear shows.

So my questions, is this because SLRgear doesn't reflect differences in sensor size? Are their tests showing the panasonic to be good in a MFT context, but showing no comparative relevance to other sensor formats? In most everything i look at, they agree on the profile of the lenses, ie if they are flat or center dominant ect. So it seems there is a thread of truth where both agree, but the actual numbers are off.

Is one "wrong" and the other not? Are they both junk and there's another tester that is more reputable? As sensors improve in the coming years, lens resolution will become more and more important if one wants maximum resolving power. I would like to know my a** from a hole in the ground when it comes to buying glass.

Ontario Gone's gear list:Ontario Gone's gear list
Nikon D7000 Canon EOS 70D Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow