Overall best digital compact for concert photography

Started Apr 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
David Pastern
Contributing MemberPosts: 724
Like?
Re: Overall best digital compact for concert photography
In reply to jonrobertp, Dec 17, 2013

Perhaps I expected too much.  For the price though, it should have delivered (it's not a cheap digital compact!).

I think part of the issue was I was in the wrong place - the front of the stage was the place to be from a photography point of view, not the pit.  There was too much movement from the rear stage to the front stage by performers that made it hard for a camera to keep up in low light etc.

A friend got superb images from the front of the stage with a $200 Lumix...right place at the right time.  She had a pit ticket too, but when we were evacuated out of the pit sections, I got lost from her and had no idea where she was.  I should have stuck closer and followed her!!!

I kept shooting at ISO 1600 - just as well too, cos the noise was not super.  Not super terrible, but not super either.  I know it's a smaller sensor etc.  I really wish manufacturers would stop mucking around with the pixel wars and put out larger sensors with 10mp or so for increased pixel size and high ISO performance.  I guess the pixel wars just show how gullible and stupid the majority of the population is, and how eager the manufacturers are to appease their stupidity.

Dave

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow