ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Say Cheese
Contributing MemberPosts: 571Gear list
Like?
70d WITH or WITHOUT kit 18-135 lens?
7 months ago

Advise, please?

I'm about to upgrade my 5 year old 50d with a 70d, and am wondering whether I should also pop for the Canon 18-135 STM lens as well. In the kit, the lens is $300. I currently have the Tammie 17-50, plus 35mm and 50mm primes, the 60 macro, the 10-22 for wide angle, and the 70-200 f/4 L telephoto.

To my way of thinking, the only two reasons for getting the 18-135 are these: supposedly, it's better when taking movies than other lenses, and as a kit lens, it's about $200 cheaper. Right now, I infrequently take short movies with my S95, but the 70d would probably inspire me to take it a bit further.

I suppose it would become my walk-around, but I'd miss the Tamron's f/2.8. (I'd keep this lens anyway.)

I shoot landscapes, candids, some portraits, some street photography, etc. Just moved to Northern Nevada from So California, so I'm really keen on getting mountain scenery shots.

So, before I pull the trigger, my question is whether the 18-135 is a good value for me or not…It's either a savings of $200 or an added expense of $300, depending on how you look at it.

Your thoughts? And have I left out any considerations?

-- hide signature --
 Say Cheese's gear list:Say Cheese's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +7 more
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 70D Canon PowerShot S95
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow