Price Drop ($672) for GR but not Coolpix A

Started Dec 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
technic
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,660Gear list
Like?
Re: Price Drop ($672) for GR but not Coolpix A
In reply to Red5TX, Dec 16, 2013

Red5TX wrote:

I must say, I am genuinely surprised to see the price of the Ricoh GR continuing to fall (currently at $672 on Amazon) while the $1,099 price of the Nikon Coolpix A remains the same. The Ricoh is closing in on HALF the price of the Nikon!

I simply love my GR. It is a wonderful tool for taking pictures with no obvious flaws and no replacement in sight. I wonder, then, why the price continues to go down. Could it be Ricoh's complete lack of marketing? Their complete lack of brand recognition in the US? And what to make of the fact that Nikon's price remains unmoved? Remarkable.

In my area (Netherlands) the prices for these two cameras have been close from the moment both were available. The GR just went down to about EUR 650 at a few dealers (others are still selling at EUR 800 or so, the introductory price from end of September).

The Coolpix A was introduced here for EUR 1100, quickly went lower when the GR became available and the price has been around EUR 700 from October (lowest price, EUR 800 or so is more common price for camera shops).

I'm still not seeing any shops that have the GR wide converter here, and the amount of accessories available is usually very small; it's probably selling in small numbers.

technic's gear list:technic's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
$635New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow