Can I take picture of Moon with Sony alpha Nex-F3?

Started 10 months ago | Questions thread
Juhaz
Regular MemberPosts: 308Gear list
Like?
Re: Can I take picture of Moon with Sony alpha Nex-F3?
In reply to DipanjanC, 10 months ago

DipanjanC wrote:

Hi,

I'm a newbie. I have a Sony alpha nex-F3 with 18-55 and 55-210mm lens. I tried to take picture of moon with the below configuration:

Shutter speed :: 10"

Aperture :: 3.5

I don't know much about this things. Can anyone please guide me if I can take picture of the moon or not? Everytime it is coming as a round white circle.

The moon is very bright, your exposure is way too long. A couple of thousand times too long. Try to stop down the lens to F/8 where it's at maximum sharpness and expose 1/250s to 1/500s or so for the most detailed moon shot. Or you can use spot metering and let the camera calculate exposure.

If what you're really asking is if you can take a picture of the moon and stars and/or landscape at the same time, the answer is no - with any camera, there's nothing remotely capable of that kind of dynamic range. Any pictures of that kind you see are composites, with the moon and the other elements coming from different exposures and combined in post.

Juhaz's gear list:Juhaz's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Yes!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow