Trying to understand flash white balance (70D).

Started 8 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
rjcarr316
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
Trying to understand flash white balance (70D).
8 months ago

I had a 650D and use a 430EX speedlite and noticed that the images came out warmer if I set the white balance to flash (compared to AWB). However, I read in the manual that when using the flash the auto white balance should automatically change to flash, and in either case the flash should transmit color information, but that didn't seem to be the case for me.

Just recently I got a 70D and tested this hoping it'd be fixed but unfortunately I'm getting the same results (sorry for the bland subject):

http://imgur.com/a/RIyFS

The first pic is using the AWB and you'll notice it is a bit cold and blue, and the second pic is using the flash white balance and you'll notice it is warmer and pinker.

I prefer the warmer pictures but that requires choosing the specific white balance. There are two problems with this:

• Although most of my pics I take indoors with my kids when I do go outside I almost always forget to change the white balance. I'm getting better about it, but it's annoying.
  • The 70D doesn't seem to have any dedicated button for white balance. There also doesn't even seem to be a way I can assign a button to it (using the SET button would be ideal, but doesn't look to be an option). The only way to do it is using the onscreen options.

A couple more things:

• I realize white balance isn't an issue if I was shooting raw, but I don't and I'm looking for another option.
  • Maybe there is a way to set the white balance automatically when the speedlite is active?

So I'm just wondering if anyone has any guidance for this problem. Thanks for taking the time to help!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 650D (EOS Rebel T4i / EOS Kiss X6i) Canon EOS 70D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow