Started Dec 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,385Gear list
Like?
Happy Birthday to my XE1!!!
Dec 16, 2013

My wonderful Fuji XE1 turned 1 year old this weekend and it has been a great year. Have not had so much fun with a new camera since my Nikon D70 in early 2004 - first digital SLR. Both of these cameras opened a new world which was a joy to explore. The XE1, after only one day of testing against my Nikon D300, followed by one day of serious shooting, was the last time I used my Nikon. Over about 8 months I slowly sold off all my Nikon gear as it simply was not being used making me Nikon free by August.

I was looking for two main things in a new camera, more DR and something lighter for my backcountry mountain hikes, and did not want to sacrifice IQ with a compact sensor or mediocre optics. To that end the Fuji delivered in spades with wonderful color, easy to use dials and buttons, and a simply more pleasant experience. I have no tangible gripes about my camera or lenses. Only minor gripe is loose aperture rings but no big deal. It is so nice to love the thing that you have, essentially unconditionally. No desire for FF, more pixels or problems with focus, hence no plans to replace at this time.

Below are a few favorites from different lenses, places and genres. Best to view the originals for clearer picture

911 Memorial Lights from New Jersey (tripod)

Handheld close-up with my Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro

Another handheld closeup with my Tamron 90mm macro

Skating Rink at Rockefeller Center, New York City - Rokinon 8mm fisheye

IR landscape with Hoya 72R IR filter on a Nikon 16-85mm lens (tripod)

Sunrise with the 14mm (tripod) - RAW capture that was bracketed for HDR but only used one shot for this with DR400 setting

Mountain hike to the top and across the ridge in back of me for 2 miles then back down - something light instead of a DSLR was much appreciated

Tulip with Nikon 50mm f/1.8 wide open - handheld jpeg

Fuji long zoom at 200mm

Wide-open at f/2.8 with Fuji zoom at ISO 5000 captured as jpeg!!! This shot is from my first day using it, also the last time my Nikon left the house. I was blown away with the fuji zoom

-- hide signature --

Fuji XE1 w/14, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D300 Nikon D70
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow