Occasional focus hunting with FT lens on EM1: SWD helps?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
W A Stewart
Contributing MemberPosts: 982Gear list
Like?
Second FT lens trial
In reply to W A Stewart, 10 months ago

OK, "trial" is a fancy word for replacing a lens and locking focus at various distances and light levels. As noted, I sold almost all my FT lenses, but I still have the old 40-150mm, so old in this case that it's the faster f/3.5-4.5. Faster in aperture, that is. It's no match in focus speed for the 50-200 SWD (which I used to have). I kept the old lens because it's one of the few FT lenses that focuses somewhat acceptably on mFT cameras... that is, prior to EM1 cameras.

What I found was that the focusing action is really noisy - the SWD fixed that pretty well. And you can easily tell how hard a time it's having getting focus lock. It takes one, two, or three little swishing sounds depending on how hard a time it's having. Not surprisingly, it can take one very short swish in good light with good contrast. It has the hardest time in dim light, with less contrast, and closer up. In fact, it can take two half presses to really get focus up close (at least in dim light). All in all I'd say it's useable in a pinch. Its results are pretty good as well. Before I got the 50-200 I used the old 40-150 at a game at Lambeau - must have been a while ago because most of us thought it would be Favre's last home game (against the Seahawks - Pack won - and Favre came back for one more year).

-- hide signature --

W Alex Stewart

W A Stewart's gear list:W A Stewart's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D800E Olympus E-M1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow