Occasional focus hunting with FT lens on EM1: SWD helps?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
W A Stewart
Contributing MemberPosts: 982Gear list
Like?
Occasional focus hunting with FT lens on EM1: SWD helps?
10 months ago

I've been comparing AF performance with an mFT zoom (Panny 12-35mm) and a FT zoom (Zuiko 14-54mm Series I), with some shots on a tripod and some handheld, in modest to fairly low light indoors. What I find is that the 14-54 does pretty well - subjectively not as fast but accurate and pretty fast in the majority of trials. However, now and then it exhibits the hunting behavior that one would get on earlier mFT camera bodies.

In case it's relevant, I turned IS off and used spot focusing (most of the time - I also tried center weighted).

I don't know how the 12-60 SWD would compare. I sold mine when deciding to move to mFT. My recollection is that it was faster but not otherwise different in its focusing. I am also concerned that it would be too big on the EM1. Even the 14-54 seems large and the weight difference is noticeable. Still, I am curious about others' experiences with the SWD lenses.

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

W Alex Stewart

W A Stewart's gear list:W A Stewart's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D800E Olympus E-M1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +7 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow