Long Lens --- How much would you pay?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
j.m.young
Regular MemberPosts: 429Gear list
Like?
Re: Long Lens --- How much would you pay?
In reply to Tom Gross, 4 months ago

Tom Gross wrote:

There have been numerous threads and comments here by people desiring a longer prime lens for wildlife, especially bird photography. I don't know if Olympus or Panasonic read this forum, but if they do, perhaps if enough of us are willing to pay the necessary price, they might consider it.

I personally would gladly pay $1,500 - $2,000 for a 300mm f4.0 or 400mm f5.6. These are similar prices that Canon and Nikon charge for such lenses.

I would I pay this price because I would then be able to sell all my Canon gear, including a 500mm f4.5 (non IS) and 100-400mm zoom. This would reduce my camera bag weight substantially and make bird photography more enjoyable.

No way would I pay 1500 - 2000 for the 300mm. I have the Olympus 75-300 and the Panasonic 100 -300 and they both are good and most likely as small as a 300mm f4 would be. Don't need the extra speed a 300 with the new cameras.

A 400mm f.4 or f5.6 I would buy for sure at 1000 -1500. I would have it on pre order as soon as I could. I don't know about lens construction but the two lenses that now reach out to 300mm from Panasonic and Olympus in Micro four thirds mount are a good size for me. I would suggest that it be made as fast as possible keeping the approximate same size.

j.m.young's gear list:j.m.young's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +34 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
WellNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow