Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
KnightPhoto2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,369Gear list
Like?
Re: Of course he's not correct
In reply to raztec, 10 months ago

raztec wrote:

marike6 wrote:

If he did say those things, then he is absolutely not correct.

It is amazing to me that for years Nikon users have been asking for a digital FM style camera. So what does Nikon do? They listen to customers and build one. And rather than be happy for yet another strong addition to Nikon's FX lineup, all anybody seems to do is complain and second guess them.

Stop by any other forum on DPR and you won't see anywhere near the level of complaining and second guessing that goes on here on FX forum and across the web. Nikon has the most bodies out of anyone in the top 20 of DxOMark, they have extremely competitive prices (D800 was priced $500 less than the 5D III, D610 is a sub-$2000 FX DSLR), they listened to customer requests for a digital FM style body, etc. But judging by all the constant moaning and groaning around here, you'd think that Nikon still hasn't built it's first FF camera like Pentax or that Nikon has been using the same sensor over and over again like Canon. It's the most bizarre phenomenon I've ever seen to be so positively spoiled with riches in FX and DX camera bodies, lenses, flashes and accessories but to have such an overwhelming negative forum tone day in and day out.

Everyday I look at the Top Threads on the DPR front page and without fail there is a Nikon FX rant thread talking about how Nikon stole someone's first born.

Anyway clearly Hogan, who seems to think he knows better how to run Nikon than Nikon, doesn't remember what happened with the D700 cannibalizing D3 sales. If he did, he wouldn't suggest that Nikon do the EXACT same thing by putting the D4 sensor in a D800 style body. And if they had, I'd bet anything that Hogan would then write "Is Nikon deaf: where is the FM Digital that customers have been asking for?". Followed by another Hogan article "Does Nikon ever learn: is the Df hurting D4 sales?"

Please provide evidence that the D700 cannibalized D3 sales.

The problem you don't seem to get is that it's obvious Nikon have the technology but their marketing department is going to drag them into bankruptcy if they are allowed to lead this company. Just look at their latest financials.

Instead of putting their best foot forward, they hold back. Why the restricted AF area in the D610? Why not a small form D4 with perhaps less fps? People have been asking for such a camera for a long time: A 20mp or so FF with pro body with their best 51 AF system.

It's a con cooked up by the marketing department and you and every other fanboy have bought into it lock, stock and barrel. Nikon is counting on people upgrading their bodies again and again and again, or buying multiple bodies because one just doesn't cut it.

That's modern marketing for you and while it may increase your short term profits, it will bankrupt you in the end because it's not sustainable.

What is sustainable is bringing a lot of people into the Nikon family with long lasting pro bodies (like the D300 or D700) and then selling them high quality glass for years to come. Smart people like Thom Hogan inherently understand what quality is. But Nikon is not catering to them. Instead they are going after the mindless masses with more money than sense.

Raz

www.pbase.com/bluethermal

The evidence is here:

- no D700S was released based on the D3S sensor;

- no D750 was released based on the D4 sensor;

- it's a pattern.  The pattern clearly shows that Nikon will not introduce a D700 style body with the speed flagship sensor (it has not happened for either the D3S or D4 sensors).

- this pattern is 4+ years old now.  From that I conclude that the D4 and Df are it as far as that sensor is concerned.

- I think the D400 is coming though (as presaged by the small D7100 buffer) and a D750 based on a 24mp sensor might happen now that we have EXPEED4

-- hide signature --

Best Regards,
SteveK
'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/119002

KnightPhoto2's gear list:KnightPhoto2's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon 1 V3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
noNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow