Long Lens --- How much would you pay?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
AndyGM
Contributing MemberPosts: 695Gear list
Like?
Re: Long Lens --- How much would you pay?
In reply to searun, 9 months ago

Yes, there are those that believe having a fast telephoto is playing to (Micro) Four Thirds strengths, namely the smaller, "cropped" sensor when compared to DSLRs means you can get the narrow angle of view of huge DSLR telephoto lenses at much shorter focal lengths.

However, this conflicts with the main strength of m43, which is small and light. So I really don't see any manufacturer making a fast super telephoto prime with an m43 mount.

If you are going to have a big lens, a lens you mount directly onto a tripod and then mount the camera onto, and let's face it the lens being debated would be like this, the size of the camera would be, within reason, immaterial. It you really want to do birding, an APS-C DSLR is already a very good tool for the job.

m43 has another "hole" in its lens lineup, a UWA prime. I believe there is more of a market for one of these on m43 than there is for a fast tele (to compete with the Fuji XF 14mm for instance), which is why I think it is more likely we will see one.

AndyGM's gear list:AndyGM's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
WellNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow