Long Lens --- How much would you pay?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
duartix
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,531Gear list
Like?
Re: Long Lens --- How much would you pay?
In reply to Tom Gross, 11 months ago

Tom Gross wrote:

I personally would gladly pay $1,500 - $2,000 for a 300mm f4.0 or 400mm f5.6. These are similar prices that Canon and Nikon charge for such lenses.

I cannot for one second even consider anything close to these amounts. I do have a few 300mm F5.6 and one 400mm Sigma F5.6 APO which I use with MF. Sometimes it's still hit and miss, especially when I can't pre-focus since I still lack a body with peaking. Yet I'm hopeful that as soon as I can buy a body that does peaking, most of my problems will go away.

These ISO days I don't need the speed on teles, so I parted with with an OM Oly 300mm F4.5 (which is now on a friend's lens cabinet gathering dust), and also because this F5.6 kicked the Oly's ass in sharpness.

Tamron 300mm F5.6 670Au (mine was in pristine condition and came with ADAPTALL to Yashica adapter)

This one also makes some occasional rounds in the bag as it's a whole lot more compact. However, the focus is easily bound to drift if you point the lens down and it has some noticeable CA wide open that will go away when stopped down, but for size (among other legacy glass) it's very hard to beat.

-- hide signature --

Duarte Bruno

duartix's gear list:duartix's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F40fd Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
WellNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow