E-M1: Best AEL/AFL options on half shutter press?

Started Dec 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
janeenadamsmartin
Contributing MemberPosts: 624Gear list
Like?
E-M1: Best AEL/AFL options on half shutter press?
Dec 16, 2013

I thought default was that focus locked at half shutter press and exposure locked at full shutter press.  This is what made "focus and recompose" technique workable.   But if I am reading it right, the default is mode 1 (for S-AF) and both focus and exposure lock at half shutter press?  If so, that sorta negates "focus and recompose" effectiveness, and I would need to switch to Mode 2 if that is what I wanted to do?

This came to my attention when I tried to take shots of the dark butterfly grove.  I wanted to show the darkness of the shade with glints of light coming through, but I kept getting blurry shots.  What would have been a better technique -- get the exposure at half press, and focus at full press  (Mode 3)?

Here is an example of what I ended up with:

janeenadamsmartin's gear list:janeenadamsmartin's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +5 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow