GM1 with Flip bac grip (pictures)

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Impulses
Contributing MemberPosts: 855Gear list
Like?
Re: GM1 with Flip bac grip (pictures)
In reply to eastvillager, 9 months ago

I've seen this a couple of times already and I'm not sure I understand the logic? Why would you put a grip on the camera if you're using a tripod?

The Panasonic grip just looks odd to me, and it takes up the tripod mount

Uhh... Because sometimes you might wanna use a tripod and sometimes not? Unscrewing the grip every single time you wanna slap the camera on a tripod would get old, specially if you use a tripod a lot and/or you carry a small tripod like a Gorillapod or those tiny Joby Micros that are so small you can leave them attached to the bottom of the camera (works great with small cameras like this for table shots at restaurants etc).

Some people might even like using camera straps that attach via the tripod mount and again, Panasonic's grip would interfere with that. The ONE thing that no other grip does that the Panasonic grip addresses (camera body height vs larger lenses) is ironically the one thing that would actually matter most on a tripod. A lot of tripod plates won't take the GM1 with anything but the kit zoom because any lens that protrudes out the bottom is gonna interfere and not allow the body to sit flush with the plate or quick release.

It really does look like a total afterthought on Panasonic's part IMO. I don't even mind the actual look of it so much as the clumsy design. Plus they wanted like $75 for it or something? Kind of ridiculous, I hope it's made of titanium or at least the same mag alloy as the body for that price...

That "Franiec" grip is looking sharp tho, sorry about butchering your last name before Richard!

Impulses's gear list:Impulses's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow