Selling D800e, buying fixed lens camera.

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Biological_Viewfinder
Senior MemberPosts: 1,194
Like?
Selling D800e, buying fixed lens camera.
7 months ago

Well I have enjoyed the resolution of the D800e.

I love the auto white-balance, it's getting close to the fire-and-forget level it should be. I love the perfect exposures I get with aperture-priority. I think it is an amazing camera, a game-changer that has made its mark and will be remembered in the future for its breakthroughs. This is my 8th dSLR.

For a decade, I have waited patiently for a camera with a 1 lens solution. And the day it was announced, I knew that I was seeing another game-changer, another camera that will be remembered for its breakthroughs.

That camera is the Sony Rx10, and I own it, and I've been comparing it directly to the D800e. The D800e wins almost every race. The photographs are almost always better. But what has won me over is that the wins aren't usually by that much.

BOTH cameras require about 1600 ISO within the dim mixed lighting of my home before the stabilization is enough to let you handhold a photograph without much motion blur.

And for me personally, I feel that f/2.8 on a full-frame has waaaaaaaaaaaay too shallow of a DOF. I don't like it. I'm into people pictures, but I like to actually see their whole face, not just 1 eye, their cheek bone, the tip of their nose, some hair, and a whole lot of blurry.

There are other reasons as well, but there are 2 reasons which supersede all others.

Number 1: I'm sick of a camera bag full of heavy lenses. I'll buy the next Rx10 whatever that might be; but I will never ever ever ever buy another lens, ever!!!!! I won't even need a backpack at all!!!!!! I can just put a filter wallet in my pocket, put my camera in its molded hardcase, and start hiking. I won't leave a lens behind because I just didn't want to cope with the extra weight.

Number 2: If I stay will Nikon, I'll buy the next D800 or the next D4. And I'll buy more lenses, more flashes, more filters, etc. Yet if I go to Sony's fixed-lens solution, I can use the extra money (probably $10,000 over the next 4 years) on vacations instead of a bunch of new heavy gear.

The question that made this decision easy for me was to ask myself this:
Is the Sony Rx10 better than all the previous dSLR cameras that I have owned?

Sure, full-frame cameras will always be better; technology doesn't stand still. But, because of the miniaturization of computers and optics to fit into smart-phones, the compact and bridge cameras are really accelerated right now.

The Sony Rx10 wasn't possible until it was made. But now for the first time there is a f/2.8 24-200mm 1 lens solution. It's not perfect, it's not as good as a Nikon D-anything. But for what it is, it is amazing!! And I will take that camera with me a lot more often now that I don't have to deal with wearing a backpack full of gear. Now *ALL MY GEAR* can be right around my neck and ready to snap pics at all times. I won't even have to stop for more than a second or two. Right now, it's the big hassle of removing or repositioning your pack, and selecting the lens you need, attaching it to the camera, (I mean by the time you're done doing all that, the guy with the fixed lens is already half-a-football field up ahead, looking to take the next picture).

Thank you D800e!!!
Goodbye D800e!!!!

-- hide signature --

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow