Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Joseph T Lewis III
Senior MemberPosts: 1,541Gear list
Like?
Ready To Buy E-M1, Then Found Out LR5 Does Not Run On Vista
9 months ago

This afternoon I loaded my Amazon shopping cart with virtual copies of an E-M1, an LCD protector, and a boxed copy of Lightroom 5.  That was to be my Christmas present from my wife.  I was one happy guy!

However, just before confirming the order, I double checked the minimum system requirements for LR5 for a Windows PC.  It requires Windows 7 w. service pack 1, or Windows 8.  It does NOT run on Vista!!

I Googled around and sure enough, there were posts on Adobe forums, other camera site forums, and in the DPR NEX forum from people who'd ordered LR5, but got stopped midway through the installation with big error messages saying Vista was not supported.

I'm making this post because I had not seen anything about this incompatibility on the m4/3 forum, and also because DPReview's Gearshop incorrectly shows that Vista 32 and 64 bit systems are supported by LR5.  From everything I've read, this is just flat not true...apparently the first beta release candidate system was, but Vista support was dropped from the "official" version.

I would love to be proved wrong on this (please...anyone), but for now my E-M1 plans have come to a screeching halt.  I can't buy a new PC, new camera, new LR, and a new copy of MS Office all at the same time.

(By the way, I do realize I could upgrade to Windows 7 or 8, but I'd just as soon not spend that money on a 5 year old PC, even though it is running fine now.)

Purely for what it's worth

-- hide signature --

Tom

Joseph T Lewis III's gear list:Joseph T Lewis III's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +6 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow