Firmware updates - open letter to Fuji, your instructions are a contradiction in terms

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
R Neuschul
Regular MemberPosts: 402
Like?
Firmware updates - open letter to Fuji, your instructions are a contradiction in terms
9 months ago

Dear Mr Fuji

I love your Pro and E series cameras but you tell me that when carrying out any firmware updates I should follow your instructions, which include

"Always use the fully-charged battery when updating the firmware as a basic manner. Never turn the camera off or attempt to use any of the camera controls while the firmware is being overwritten."

Unfortunately your cameras give me no way of knowing if or when the battery is or is not fully [or sufficiently] charged, whilst your external battery charger's charge-state indicator is less than reliable. The outcome of either or both of those two circumstances is that if I were inadvertently to brick or damage my camera or lens during an update thanks to insufficient power then it would all be entirely your fault. For technical and legal reasons this is an unacceptable situation for an item of professional photographic equipment: it's also pretty bad from your customer management perspective.

Please remedy the on-camera power state indicator; it's currently a totally useless joke, particularly in models at these price points in a highly competitive marketplace.

For future models please consider introducing the capability to use external mains/battery power supply during normal use and during firmware updates.

Yours sincerely

Robert Neuschul

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow