K30 right upgrade path - K5II or K5IIs or K3? (OR) Just move to Nikon D7100?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
rsenk19
Regular MemberPosts: 195Gear list
Like?
K30 right upgrade path - K5II or K5IIs or K3? (OR) Just move to Nikon D7100?
8 months ago

Hello,

I am using K30 with 18-135 WR kit lens as well 35 mm F2.4 prime. So far, I have been enjoying the camera for various family shots. I had a "pinch" feeling when I was trying to shoot a night scene - The AF was struggling with my 35mm F2.4 prime lens. I went to asked the shop representative who sold me the K30 (over Nikon D5200). And he suggested me to upgrade to K3 if I am very particular about low light AF performance.

The K30 is pretty good in terms of performance and handling. As we with family are out recently to enjoy the illuminations of Tokyo street, I am worried that I will not get good pictures due to this lack of AF performance.

Should I consider to upgrade to K3?

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Pentax-K-3-versus-Pentax-K-5-II-versus-Pentax-K-30___914_829_811

From the above dxo comparison, it looks K5II is better than K3 in terms of low light performance and DR. But not sure about the AF performance of K5II or K5IIs.

I need the following :

1. Good AF performance even in low light

2. Good DR 14.x for land scape work

3. Should be good for portrait work

I like to with Pentax. But, now when I look the prices Nikon D7100 looks better than K3 in terms of price:value ratio.

I need your suggestion. Should I wait for the price to go down for K3 or should I take either  K5II or K5IIs ?

Or sell all the stuff of Pentax and move to Nikon system?

Note : Manual focus is good. But, when I try to take a picture of my small kid in the low light situations, MF is little difficult as she runs fast here and there. So, a better AF performance in low light is very essential.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Senthil

rsenk19's gear list:rsenk19's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Pentax K-x Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +3 more
Nikon D5200 Nikon D7100 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow