Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
unclebrudy
Regular MemberPosts: 461Gear list
Like?
Fungus has won again. Drat.
10 months ago

Sorry that my first picture sharing effort to revive this forum is of fungus, haha. Third time my Beercan has contracted it.

First time, I bought the lens as-is, and upon taking it apart (Thanks P. Ganzel!) I found both oily blades and fungus. I cleaned both and slapped it back together. After fine-tuning, this was/is a great copy. Very little PF/CA/etc. and tack sharp at f/4.

Second time, fungus came back. This time I ultrasonically cleaned every bit that I could. I also wiped every surface I could with disinfectant, re-greased and done. That was 4 years ago.

Now, I just so happened to be shooting in the sun and was about to swap for it when I saw it. My eye caught the perfect angle and here it is again.

I give up. A professional cleaning could be up to the cost of a new one, perhaps more since it appears that the fungus may be inside the sealed elements. Taking it apart and re-calibrating it is an all day job.

I guess I will shoot it 'til it dies. It is spending a week getting a sun tan and then it's the last hurrah.

p.s. - Yes, it's separate from the my other lenses. No, *so far* no other lenses exhibit even a trace of fungus. Yes, there were silica packs in my bag and my cabinet.

-- hide signature --

Just a Maxxum, an Alpha, and crossed fingers.

unclebrudy's gear list:unclebrudy's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +4 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow