Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
unclebrudy
Regular MemberPosts: 461Gear list
Like?
Fungus has won again. Drat.
9 months ago

Sorry that my first picture sharing effort to revive this forum is of fungus, haha. Third time my Beercan has contracted it.

First time, I bought the lens as-is, and upon taking it apart (Thanks P. Ganzel!) I found both oily blades and fungus. I cleaned both and slapped it back together. After fine-tuning, this was/is a great copy. Very little PF/CA/etc. and tack sharp at f/4.

Second time, fungus came back. This time I ultrasonically cleaned every bit that I could. I also wiped every surface I could with disinfectant, re-greased and done. That was 4 years ago.

Now, I just so happened to be shooting in the sun and was about to swap for it when I saw it. My eye caught the perfect angle and here it is again.

I give up. A professional cleaning could be up to the cost of a new one, perhaps more since it appears that the fungus may be inside the sealed elements. Taking it apart and re-calibrating it is an all day job.

I guess I will shoot it 'til it dies. It is spending a week getting a sun tan and then it's the last hurrah.

p.s. - Yes, it's separate from the my other lenses. No, *so far* no other lenses exhibit even a trace of fungus. Yes, there were silica packs in my bag and my cabinet.

-- hide signature --

Just a Maxxum, an Alpha, and crossed fingers.

unclebrudy's gear list:unclebrudy's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +4 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow