Questions on Portrait photography with NEX-6 + SEL50f18

Started Dec 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
justincarlson
Forum MemberPosts: 88Gear list
Like?
Re: Questions on Portrait photography with NEX-6 + SEL50f18
In reply to Dunnlang, Dec 14, 2013

Thanks a lot for the advice. Sorry to hear about your friend. It certainly pays to be proficient enough with your camera so that you can get the right shot when it matter most.

Dunnlang wrote:

Justin,

This sounds like a great environment to get some practice then! I did the same recently at my cousin's wedding and reception. She's in a photography club herself and was very excited to get a sampling of edited pictures and RAWs for every shot the next day!

This should be a similar chance for you to practice. Find out what equipment and techniques work for you. As your skill grows, you may find that your list of required equipment shrinks.

If there are centerpieces on the tables, be sure to grab some good or "creative" shots of those. They can be a nice way to break up an album full of faces. Whoever organized the event will likely have been involved in the decorating. That individual will appreciate, and remember, your pictures of their hard work. That can lead to more work.

*aside*

I'll echo Mel's thoughts with my own experience. Days after I got my NEX-6, I attended a birthday dinner for a friend. I had fun showing off the camera and practicing. Unfortunately what I did not have was skill. Every picture was blurry.

It turned out that birthday dinner was the last gathering a young friend of ours attended before he unexpectedly passed.

Now no one was expecting to see any good pictures from that night. Indeed there were many smartphones. All that happened is I feel bad for missing a good group shot. I didn't take the opportunity to capture him and his wife smiling at each other. I just have no good images to share from that night.

Take all the shots you can. You don't have to publish them all. You just never know what picture you'll want to have next week.

justincarlson's gear list:justincarlson's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS HDRsoft Photomatix Pro +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow