New Panny 12-32mm first impressions

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
jeffharris
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,533Gear list
Like?
Re: This is a kit I've been wondering about...
In reply to mring1, 9 months ago

mring1 wrote:

I have an E-M5, and if the 12-32 works well with that camera, it could be a viable jacket pocket-sized carry along. That is, IF it works well with the camera (and Pany lenses/Oly cameras and vice versa don't always do that), and more important, if the sharpness is what a kit lens should be.

One caveat, kit zooms will NEVER be as sharp as equivalent focal length primes. They need to be stopped down at least a half stop, and somewhere in the range, they usually lose contrast and sharpness. I'd be very happy if it worked well from 12-25. So...you'll interest a fair number of folks if/when you give us some feedback on how this set-up works.

I went to B&H last week to see if there was a GM1 to handle. Sure enough, they had one, but the battery was dead. Luckily I was carrying my GX7, so I popped the 12-32mm onto it and took a few shots. The shots look pretty damn good, even considering I forgot to change the exposure (it was in M mode) and ISO was 1250.

The lens has excellent color and sharpness. It does feel a bit cheesy, though. I seems that Panasonic put all the build quality into the GM1 and forgot about the lens.

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +25 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow