Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
BolleDuc
Regular MemberPosts: 229Gear list
Like?
Panasonic GX7 with a cheap & nasty Thumb Grip fitted
8 months ago

I absolutely love my GX7 but it just didn't feel quite as perfectly comfortable, one handed, as my GX1 did. Since there isn't one specifically made for the GX7 yet, I thought I'd waste a few bucks on a "standard" thumb grip (i.e. one advertised as suitable for wide range of Panasonic, Fuji, etc.) to see how it might work out. The difference in the GX7, compared to some of the aforementioned "standard throw" cameras, is the fact that the hot shoe is offset further to the left.

The pics below show the grip fitted. The obvious limitation of course is that you can't mount an external flash. Not a biggie for me, as I'm mostly off camera with my occasional flash use anyway. However, the grip I chose prevents the release of the on-board flash so there's a 'removal - release flash - refit grip' routine required if I need that flash popped up.

While that may not make for a good long term solution, it will do for now. Perhaps more importantly, & much to my surprise given the added reach necessary for the thumb, it's now absolutely fantastic to use one handed. Moving that cantilever support point further out, & closer to the where the weight of the lens is, the thumb provides really good support & the package now feels as light as a feather, just about ideal for one handed use. I know this is very much an individual feel thing, & opinions are very subjective, but if you have any smidgen of discomfort holding your GX7, this might be worth the inexpensive experiment to test drive it. I would say that my hand size, reach of thumb, etc. are average.

All that said, I hope there will be some GX7 specific thumb grips on offer down the road. I can always move this one onto my GX1.

"Standard" Thumb Grip on GX7 - Usual thumb position is just to the left of the Off/On switch

All switches are accessible but the flash can't be popped open with the grip in place

Paul

-- hide signature --

Dilettante - my hobby is buying & selling cameras not photography!
Panasonic GX7, Olympus E-PL5, Panasonic GX1 & Canon S90 (IR Converted 590nm)

BolleDuc's gear list:BolleDuc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Canon PowerShot S90 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +5 more
Canon PowerShot S90 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow