Phone cameras: Photography, or social mingling?

Started Dec 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ontario Gone
Senior MemberPosts: 4,107Gear list
Like?
Phone cameras: Photography, or social mingling?
Dec 11, 2013

I can't help but miss the days when DPR didn't have phone reviews here. It seems there were less "photographers" posting about the demise of the camera. Perhaps it's my sense of responsibility that prompts me to offer the opposing argument, as i feel a bias opinion needs that opposition. Especially when that opinion seems extremely flawed.

Today we are flooded with threads and posts about the greatness of cameras with no controls, sans a spot on a touch screen in place of a shutter button. While i don't take these comments too personally, or even too seriously, there are plenty of "noobs" to this world who might mistake this info for reality. Some may prefer a phone to an ILC, but the facts need to be laid out for all to see so inexperienced people can make an informed decision. Afterall, years ago when i first visited DPR, that was exactly what i was seeking: an unbiased POV to help me decide my first purchase.

With that being said, i can't help but look upon "phone photography" with a bit of disdain. I realize a small sensor with few manual controls is good enough for some, but does this really qualify as photography? Now far be it from me to classify another's passion, i criticize people for trying to define things like that. But i am finding the social aspect the driving force behind phone cameras, and this lends to the idea that it's less photography and more about social media. I have several photos hanging on my walls shot with digital cameras, but i did not take them in hopes of social pats on the back. I took them to save memories for myself and for others. Social media and photography are very different, even if people try to mix them. It just seems like the word "photographer" is a hip word that people want to adopt when they simply want to socialize by using images.

I hope we can keep it fairly civil, but please be honest and candid. What IS a photographer? Is there a fine line between that and the social aspect? Feel free to lay out whatever you think, either side of the idea.

Ontario Gone's gear list:Ontario Gone's gear list
Nikon D7000 Canon EOS 70D Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow