Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di USD Lens for Sony

Started Dec 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
Dave Oddie
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,843
Like?
Re: Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di USD Lens for Sony
In reply to dlkeller, Dec 11, 2013

dlkeller wrote:

I was looking at the ad for this lens on the B&H site and noticed that the VR feature listed in the Nikon and Canon information for this lens is noticeable in it's absence in the ad for the Sony versions. If their information is accurate then Tamron is once again screwing Sony users by leaving this feature of their version of the lens. For shorter FL lenses this is not that big of deal as the Sony SS works well, but for a lens this long where a stabilized viewfinder image becomes very important to the user this is a major omission which makes the lens much less desirable then I had previously expected it to be.

Doesn't bother me.  I have the 500mm mirror and use it hand held and the SSS is effective.

Do I have to hold it steadier because I don't have a stabilised viewfinder image?

I don't know because I don't have an alternative frame of reference but if I am doing then this is probably a good thing anyway.

I do have the Sigma 105 macro with O/S and in theory I ought to prefer the O/S than the SSS at 1:1 magnification but I don't.  So that is another reason why I am not bothered it isn't on the Tamron.

I am seriously considering the Tamron but if I get it I  may also go for a tripod with Wimberley head as I think at an effective 900mm f/l on my A77 hand holding such a lens at max zoom is going to tax either stabilisation mechanism.  I also won't be taking this lens out as a matter of routine as I often do with the 500mm mirror so lugging the tripod is part of the deal.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow