Started Dec 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dellaaa
Regular MemberPosts: 467Gear list
Like?
What comes after 36 MPixels and why?
Dec 10, 2013

I am the owner of a Nikon D800 and NEX7.  I love the D800, the NEX7, not so much.

My question may be naive but I will post anyway.  In using the D800 and from most accounts, 36 MP really taxes both the lenses attached and the shooting techniques.  In the film days, it would be analogous to loading Kodak's Tech Pan and shooting it at ISO 25, tremendous resolution capabilities, in many instances, out resolving the lens.

So, my question is this, what is the next step in higher resolution FF sensors, and why?  I read recently that Sony is developing a 54 MP FF sensor.  Does this make sense? Unless newer, better lens technology becomes available (and I have no doubt that it will, but it maybe a ways off) why produce a sensor that will out perform all existing glass?

Is 36 MP all that anyone can really utilize, let alone need?  What about non Bayer pattern sensors, like the Sigma Fovon.  It is in theory a 46 MP sensor, but there are only 16 MP for each color channel.  Would boosting this any further increase low ISO performance?

What do you all think?

dellaaa's gear list:dellaaa's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800
Nikon D800 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Aha.New
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow