Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
NorCalAl
Forum MemberPosts: 71Gear list
Like?
MY Overall M43 Impression
7 months ago

I wanted something I would take with me rather than sit at home in a bag, which is where my D7100 and assorted lenses lived most of the time. The weight and size meant, for me, that a full-size dslr was not a casual carry along companion. Even though, since 2006, that is exactly what it was.
So I began by looking at p/s and then at RX100-types. I decided if I was going to spend that much, I might as well look (again, since I did have, for a short time, a GF1) at M43. The GX7 was just out and I grabbed one. For whatever reason, I decided then and there to drop my Nikon and go with M43. It's perhaps fair then to take the following criticism as buyer's remorse. However, I feel my observations are correct and honest, as well.
$1000 for the GX7 is simply absurd. It has no where near the quality of the D7100. Or the D7000, if you want a closer match price-wise. Even the current $800 or so is much too high.
Quality is no match for even lower end Nikon or Canon dslrs. On the EM5, I've seen numerous complaints about dials falling off or spinning on the spindles. Suggestions for fixes range from warranty to super glue! Those of you with dslr backgrounds, can you seriously imagine suggestions to fix your $1000 Nikon/Canon involving super glue?
This extends to lens quality - as has been shown, even with just the few reports - with the new "pro" 12-40. DSLR users would be filling the forums for incidents like that!
There is also no serious OEM flash solution. If you're going to price products on the same level, there should be the same system level of integration for one of the most important pieces of the system - light! The M43 system has been around long enough to allow for a serious line of flash units.
The other thing that really confuses me is why, as users, promoters and consumers of the system, so many seem willing to compromise and make excuses for the state of the format. I do understand that it is a small percentage of the overall camera business. I get limited resources to develop the format. But I see it as a catch-22 type thing. Most serious shooters won't embrace the system while key pieces are missing (decent long lenses, flash). Current users rationalize issues. These equal a permanent small user base with small R&D budgets to match.
Yes, the EM1 is a big step in the right direction. Sigma joining the list of lens suppliers is a good sign, too. But we have to quit accepting the shortcomings and demand better.
Better quality. Better system integration.
I'm not selling out, but I'm not going to make excuses or say this is a mature system, either. And it should be for the prices charged.

-- hide signature --

The Mad Prophet - philosopher, cyclist, and photographer

NorCalAl's gear list:NorCalAl's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 8700 Nikon D40 Nikon D7100 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II +4 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow