Using the 75mm prime ...for what type of images?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
janeenadamsmartin
Contributing MemberPosts: 615Gear list
Like?
Using the 75mm prime ...for what type of images?
9 months ago

When I bought the 45mm prime, I had an "aha!" experience with my photos having a refreshing, new perspective.  Whether it be "street" or "around the house," being forced to using my feet for composition was an eye-opener.  Everything I shot came out interesting. Prior to this I was using my FZ200, standing still and zooming a LOT.

I just received the 75mm prime, but I have not been as successful with composition.  It seems too long for "around the house" and for "street," the longer focal length requires a bit more time to set-up and focus.  Not astonishingly long by any means, but certainly not setting a focus zone and snapping away without checking focus first.  (I suppose it is a street lens if I am the stationary one and not moving around.)  Not as many good shots, that is for sure.

Searching the internet, I find photos with this lens and focal length that are portraiture -- but not a lot else.   What type of images do you use your 75mm focal length with most successfully?

I cropped this image a lot.  I don't know how to figure out XX% crop, but I would say it seems like I cropped so it's 2x the original -- so I think it means it is really more of 150mm (300mm EFL) shot and not really a 75mm (150mm EFL) one?

janeenadamsmartin's gear list:janeenadamsmartin's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +5 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow