Using the 75mm prime ...for what type of images?

Started Dec 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
janeenadamsmartin
janeenadamsmartin Contributing Member • Posts: 648
Using the 75mm prime ...for what type of images?

When I bought the 45mm prime, I had an "aha!" experience with my photos having a refreshing, new perspective.  Whether it be "street" or "around the house," being forced to using my feet for composition was an eye-opener.  Everything I shot came out interesting. Prior to this I was using my FZ200, standing still and zooming a LOT.

I just received the 75mm prime, but I have not been as successful with composition.  It seems too long for "around the house" and for "street," the longer focal length requires a bit more time to set-up and focus.  Not astonishingly long by any means, but certainly not setting a focus zone and snapping away without checking focus first.  (I suppose it is a street lens if I am the stationary one and not moving around.)  Not as many good shots, that is for sure.

Searching the internet, I find photos with this lens and focal length that are portraiture -- but not a lot else.   What type of images do you use your 75mm focal length with most successfully?

I cropped this image a lot.  I don't know how to figure out XX% crop, but I would say it seems like I cropped so it's 2x the original -- so I think it means it is really more of 150mm (300mm EFL) shot and not really a 75mm (150mm EFL) one?

janeenadamsmartin's gear list:janeenadamsmartin's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +5 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
yyr
yyr
yyr
yyr
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow