Uncompromised Landscape Lens for A7R?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
abortabort
Contributing MemberPosts: 959Gear list
Like?
Re: Uncompromised Landscape Lens for A7R?
In reply to japa, 9 months ago

japa wrote:

My wording should have been better. Some compromises are inevitable. I can live with manual focus and an adapter.The journey I am on is to find a sufficiently excellent wide angle optical solution that doesn't create a unbalanced and heavy brick. To optimize a 36 megapixel sensor, you need great glass, not just lack of vignetting and colour cast. I bought, and I presume most others did as well in for the great sensor and light weight.

Part of me worries that Sony/Zeiss may not have brought a wide angle lens to market yet, because they don't know how to... yet. After all it is the most obvious tool for a 36 mlx camera.

Fair enough There are small options that will work well, but not the best, or big options that will work very very well, but are quite large (the same can be said of all full frame cameras). I still think the Samyang is a good option, it isn't too heavy and when paired with the A7R is around 1kg, lighter than many FF bodies, and half the weight (or more) than a D800e and 14-24mm. That combo also weights about what my Tokina 16-28mm f2.8 weighs on it's own.

I would also assume that 'serious' landscaping would be done on a tripod, so I guess an adapter that has a tripod mount should make it pretty well balanced.

To me, 500 grams is about the cutoff for the A7 without a grip. I am not a landscape photographer by any stretch of the imagination, but that would be my setup (and probably will buy this lens). The 20mm Minolta will do for me as a decent enough wide for most of my type of shooting, but the Samyang is cheap enough and very very good that I will have one as well for those times I do feel so inclined.

abortabort's gear list:abortabort's gear list
Sony RX100 Ricoh GR Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 +32 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow