Going back tomorrow - How can I do better? - Night shots

Started 7 months ago | Photos thread
Florida Nature Photographer
Senior MemberPosts: 4,049Gear list
Like?
Re: Apparently, THIS is 'how'.
In reply to Bob Tullis, 7 months ago

Bob Tullis wrote:

In a word - Awesome. Some of the signs being blown is. . . pfffft. But I understand, this is about mastering control, not about whether blown highlights are a sin or not. Great detail and tone here, all one needs to make of this pretty much anything they desire. You don't have that extreme bright red to contend with, which made the other more the challenge exposure-wise.

I think the yellows and gold luminance could be kicked up, to brighten up the skyline structures in general. But bear in mind too, I also like monochrome renderings as well [g] - you might want to toy with those HSL colors, but to what end is yours to say. Anyway, as a color's luminance is adjusted, don't be surprised if saturation tweaking may need to follow one way or another.

When you develop an image to a point you like, save a Snapshot of the current developing adjustments in LR. Do this in stages as it seems appropriate, as you can always revert to a saved Snapshot if the developing gets away from you, without having to start totally from scratch. Allows a certain freedom for experimentations.

Learning this stuff is so cool! Thanks for helping me Bob. I figured out that I can turn the city lights on and off at will.

I did as you suggested and went through experimenting, making snap shots along the way. I ultimately ended up working with the color selection tools in the corners of the HSL panels because when I did I was surprised that it adjusted colors that were different than I would have chosen.

As you will see from the Lightroom snapshot below I didn't do too much with saturation because it made the color either too intense or too muted to my eye. The SunTrust roof did seem to benefit from reduced blue/aqua saturation though.

I was pleasantly surprised the when I adjusted the lights some of the haze went away and the detail on the buildings seemed more prominent. Not sure how that works but I'm not complaining.

Below is the Lightroom HSL panels as they now appear, my new effort, and my previous submission.

My bike is packed back on my car and I'm headed to a different local to practice some more. The blue hour approaches.

Current state of Lightroom HSL panels. Arrow shows color selection tools.

Latest treatment with lights turned up

Previous submission

Florida Nature Photographer's gear list:Florida Nature Photographer's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Topaz Adjust +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow