Started Dec 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Qwntm
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,550Gear list
Like?
Pentax K-3 Random Blurry Image Theory
Dec 8, 2013

This information has been scattered about in a bunch of posts and videos, I thought I'd collect it all in one place and throw it out there.

The K-3 came out about a month ago in late fall. And since then there have been reports of blurry images that seemed to have a random pattern to their occurrence.

The default High ISO Sharpening is set to “Auto.” The other choices are off, low, medium, and high. Pentax has always deployed very conservative image processing and noise reduction application in their previous DSLR's, and that's what most Pentax users are used to. The K-3 is a RICOH product and it seems that this is no longer the case, particularly with High ISO Noise Reduction. The “High” setting is VERY DESTRUCTIVE and will obliterate image detail when viewed at 100%.

I have observed that in flat light conditions, the AUTO setting will employ VERY HIGH ISO noise reduction even at ISO's as low as 400, resulting in completely blurry images when viewed at 100%. Yet the same scene photographed in more contrasty light will receive little High ISO noise reduction applied by the AUTO setting. When High ISO Noise Reduction is set to “OFF” image detail is preserved and the camera produces results one would expect, very very sharp.

I would first turn high iso noise reduction to off if I were experiencing any sharpness issues with the K-3 and then proceed from there.

-- hide signature --

Edward
www.youtube.com/photouniverse
www.edwardthomasart.com
www.pbase.com/edwardthomas

Qwntm's gear list:Qwntm's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Pentax K-5 IIs Nikon D810 Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +6 more
Pentax K-3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
+1New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow