Uncompromised Landscape Lens for A7R?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
parallaxproblem
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,729Gear list
Like?
Re: Uncompromised Landscape Lens for A7R?
In reply to DavieK, 10 months ago

DavieK wrote:

I'm getting a Canon 20mm f/2.8 FD - a slightly well-used one for only £150 off eBay - and also a Canon 17mm f/4 FD (or possibly two examples). I have done a reasonably clear review of the 10-18mm Sony OSS as used on A7R:

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/2013/12/03/using-the-10-18mm-oss-zoom-on-full-frame/

however there may be more to add, as the severe vignetting actually makes a profile difficult to create. Certainly you can get more than just an APS-C 10-15mm out of it on the A7R.

I've tried the Sigma 12-24mm and also 8-16mm. The HSM mechanisms don't work with CD, and they are surprisingly difficult to get right using peaking, and also large and heavy. I would second the Samyang 14mm recommendation, but don't buy the E-mount model; get one for Nikon, which has proper communication with the camera, use a dumb Nikon adaptor for now but there will be intelligent Nikon adaptors soon enough - and then the EXIF data including aperture reporting should be enabled. The Alpha mount version is not even focus confirm chipped and a bad buy in comparison (there's also a dumb Nikon version - you have to pay a little more for the AI compatible one).

As for the Sony/Minolta choices, I'm afraid I do not agree than the 20mm f/2.8 was one of the better lenses of its type. Used them for years but the extremely soft dark corners and moustache-form distortion on the A900 switched me over to preferring the 17-35mm f/2.8-4 D, which at 20mm is f/3.4 but better all round than the 20mm f/2.8 (at 17mm, the D is quite similar, soft corners and complex distortion). I will be using my 17-35mm on the LA-EA3, but trying the Canon FD lenses. Minolta's 1970s 21mm f/2.8 is a better lens than the 20mm f/2.8 AF, and maybe Canon's SSC 17 and 20mms are not bad (I didn't like them at the time and rated Minolta lenses much better than 1970s Canons).

Experiments to continue...

David

I prefer my 17-35/2.8-4 to the 20/2.8 on my A900, but it is a very big lens (72mm filter)...  I can't imagine it being a good partner sizewise for the diminutive A7, but as I don't (and won't) have an A7 it's difficult to be certain

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow