Uncompromised Landscape Lens for A7R?

Started Dec 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
parallaxproblem
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,916Gear list
Like?
Re: Uncompromised Landscape Lens for A7R?
In reply to japa, Dec 8, 2013

japa wrote:

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like a few limited choices, all requiring adapters, and the best of the the choices costs $6,500. My guess Sony/Zeiss have done the math and know where they have us....

Back when the A7 was just a 'full-frame NEX' rumour and the 'what lenses would you want for such a camera' posts were appearing my main request was either a 20mm prime or a 20-35/4 zoom (I have a Pentax 20-35/4 zoom and it is both compact, practical and has rather good IQ)

I'm very surprised that Sony don't have such a lens on the roadmap as a small, light, travel camera like the A7 is crying-out for an ultrawide option. There are already plenty of compact 35-90mm alternatives but what is lacking are lenses on the wide end (this was obvious even before the system was announced). The NEX system got the 16mm (24mm equivalent) with UW adaptor straight way so why is Sony being coy about UW on the FE mount?

My guess is that the short registration distance means that it will be a challenge to produce such an FF lens which doesn't produce corner issues, without placing the rear element a long way from the sensor and so increasing the size of the lens significantly

Perhaps your best option would be a Sony/Minolta 20/2.8 via an LA-EA3 or EA4 adaptor?

Whatever, unless Sigma or another third party produce something it seems that there won't be any E-mount lenses filling this gap until at least 2015

Makes the Zeiss Touit 12mm f2.8 at $999 on a high-end APS-C E-mount body look ever more inviting... oh wait...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow