Going back tomorrow - How can I do better? - Night shots

Started 10 months ago | Photos thread
Florida Nature Photographer
Senior MemberPosts: 4,450Gear list
Like?
Re: Apparently, THIS is 'how'.
In reply to Bob Tullis, 10 months ago

Bob Tullis wrote:

In a word - Awesome. Some of the signs being blown is. . . pfffft.

Thanks. I had good teachers. I wasn't expecting to hear from you until, at least, Monday.

But I understand, this is about mastering control, not about whether blown highlights are a sin or not.

This is about:

1. Producing images people enjoy looking at
  2. Producing images my fellow photographers respect technically
  3. Learning how to do this properly so someday I can do for some what you and others are doing for me

Great detail and tone here, all one needs to make of this pretty much anything they desire. You don't have that extreme bright red to contend with, which made the other more the challenge exposure-wise.

I stood there for an hour shooting bracketed series. There was a clear window from 6:00 to 6:05 pm that the best ones were shot based on the criteria I learned about in this thread. I can't deny my own experiments but I really don't like having such a small window of opportunity for these type of shots.

I think the yellows and gold luminance could be kicked up, to brighten up the skyline structures in general.

Thanks for that tip.

But bear in mind too, I also like monochrome renderings as well [g] - you might want to toy with those HSL colors, but to what end is yours to say.

I will. I was trying to be conservative to maintain a reasonable control subject for discussion.

Anyway, as a color's luminance is adjusted, don't be surprised if saturation tweaking may need to follow one way or another.

Thanks again for these important tips.

When you develop an image to a point you like, save a Snapshot of the current developing adjustments in LR.

Good thought when I'm trying totally new stuff like this. That is one of the many things I love about Lightroom, you can always go back to any point, as long as you don't go back to a point and make a change. That is where snap shots are most important. I like to use Virtual Copies to make comparisons easier. One on one monitor, one on the other.

Can't wait to find out what I can do with those yellows and golds.

EDIT: Would you bother with the Topaz Noise Reduction or was it fine out of Lightrooom (where I didn't do anything with it's noise reduction sliders)?

Florida Nature Photographer's gear list:Florida Nature Photographer's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Topaz Adjust +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow