Started Dec 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
MisterHairy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,460Gear list
Re: Vic... here's the truth
In reply to Leif Goodwin, Dec 7, 2013

Leif Goodwin wrote:

Marty4650 wrote:

All of the people who replied to OP with outrage simply didn't realize that the OP was doing a satire of another thread. In fact, this one .

And there are only a few possible explanations for this:

• Either these folks have no sense of humor
  • Or they do, but they are very dense
  • Or satire just doesn't translate well from English to other languages

I'd bet on the third, since this is an international website with lots of users for whom English is not their native tongue. And even though they can read and write English remarkably well (in fact, in some cases much better than native English speakers) they still don't get the joke when sarcasm is used.

My guess is public schools in Europe and Asia do not waste any effort teaching sarcasm, because they are too busy teaching math, literature, science and history. This could explain why we Americans excel at sarcasm, but struggle with literature, history, and in many cases science and math.

In Britain a public school is a private school not open to the public unless they are rich and the child passes an entrance exam. State schools do not teach sarcasm because we have a sarcasm gene, and hence irony and sarcasm are second nature. You Americans, being in this narrow sense genetically deficient, need to be taught sarcasm.

You struggle with literature and science because you have achieved so much, and there is so much to learn. If you grow up in a banana republic, you only need to remember to get up in the morning, and you graduate with honours.

The evidence is that your target audience is going to struggle with most of that, I fear.

MisterHairy's gear list:MisterHairy's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +14 more
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
LOLNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow