Deciding if I should return my D7100 for an E-M1?

Started Dec 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Smiller4128
Regular MemberPosts: 363Gear list
Like?
Deciding if I should return my D7100 for an E-M1?
Dec 7, 2013

Hello all,

I've recently purchased a refurbished D7100 and 16-85mm lens. I enjoy photography as a side-hobby and don't do anything professional or serious. It's strictly for my own enjoyment. I'm not into videography at all and my main uses are for Landscape and some portraits here and there. I went with the Nikon because of the excellent reviews and I have enjoyed using it quite a bit. However, my downside comes in at size. I have to carry it all in a fastpack backpack style carrying bag and it's just not something that I want to "lug" around when I go out and therfor, I end up not using that as much as I would like to or I end up seeing the perfect scene for a shot and then sadly realizing I left the camera at home because of it's size.

With all that being said, I've thought several times about possibly returning it for either a Sony NEX-6 or an Olympus OMD EM-1 and if there was any real benefit to switching? I paid roughly $1300 for my current set up and I know that I'd have to pay an extra $150 for the E-M1 body alone (Man is that expensive!) and then I'd have very little money left to me so I wouldn't be able to buy the 12-40mm Pro lens as I would like, but rather I'd probably buy the 12-50mm lens instead until I saved up enough for other lens options.

My main questions are:

1. Are there any drops in quality when comparing the E-M1 to the D7100? Being mostly into landscapes, Dynamic Range is extremely important to me and I want make sure it's up to par.

2. Nikon is a major name brand manufacturer, how safe is it to invest into Olympus? I just have no idea about the company or it's reliability.

3. Would a switch to the E-M1, in general, be a smart move for me?

I know these questions are difficult to answer as none of you are in my shoes, but any advice and opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Smiller4128's gear list:Smiller4128's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Nikon D7100 Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow